zondag 5 augustus 2007

First week in Plett

Here I am, finally in my definitive house. For this time I write in English so that Finnish and other foreign friends or 'vremde' as we call them in Grimbergen, can also understand. Do write a reaction so that I know if it's better to continue in English or in Dutch. Of miskien in Afrikaans. Ek kan al een bekie praat Afrikaans.

Yesterday I moved to our house in Laridae. I got a warm welcome from my housemates. They cleaned up whole the appartment as well as my room. And I got a welcome sign. Thank you guys!

I get to know my way around Plet now: I know the spar supermarket, some bars, the way to our house, die Sterreweg and the Belgian house. And I also start to see what I can do in Die Sterreweg.
It's all getting a bit chaoticthough, because yesterday 6 volunteers from the Bouworde arrived. We first tought they came to build things and stuff. But actually their purpose was to come and deal with the children. So we had to come up with a new plan in which they can do usefull things with the children. Not easy since me too,I just arrived. But our new plan is looking good
.
Today we had a meeting with all organisations from the region concercing education. It gave me a good view of how things work here and how much their still needs to be done. Community schools have classes with one teacher for 50 children. These children get lessons in English, but don't always speek English and also the teachers don't speek always proper English. The closest special school is at one hour drive, but there is a big waiting list and no transport to the school. The government doesn't want to make a new special school in the area, because they want an inclusive education - for those who don't know these terms, they want all children, also with disabilities in normal schools.
I'm not saying that I don't agree with the principle of inclusion, but not for all children and especially not in classes of 50 children. So a special school in the region would be a good idea. Actually Die Sterreweg is at the moment the only organisation in this region for children with disabilities and there are a lot of them. A lot of work to do as you can see.

But I'm not only working. Of course we - actually Bruno - are entertaining our volunteers from the Bouworde (and ourselves :) ). At this point the main entertainment has been playing games: wherewoulves and jungle speed. How can I feel more at home than with those two games. :)

But I will close my computer now, because my feet are getting cold. I will go and warm up in bed. From yesterday it started raining and getting more cold. But I think that I've had warmer weather - at least during the day - than you've had in Belgium. But I didn't have 'terraskes' (what is the word in English?) like De Kroon or any other bar in Belgium. Enjoy them!

7 opmerkingen:

Anoniem zei

Hey Poepie

English is fine with me. I don't know about Afrikaans, but maybe we just have to find out about that. The forecast predict rain for Belgium later today so nothing to get excited about!
I can see that you can't get bored since you meet all these new people, discuss all these new topics and experience this totally new environment. That is what life is about, right.
Hopefully we can see soms pics from time to time.
I have already so many questions about your work, but the blog probably will inform us sufficiently over time.
Keep up the good work.

Hugs and xxx

Sanju

Anoniem zei

Hey Goedele,

Dat ziet er allemaal dik in orde uit voor u. Geniet van de sfeer, de mensen en de ervaringen. Ge gaat er nog lang deugd van hebben!

groetjes,

Els (2140)

Anoniem zei

de taal maakt mij niet uit maar als je in 't Engels verder denkt te schrijven dan toch best effe een spell check installeren ;) (ik kon het niet laten!!)

Let ginder toch wat op, want op een luie zondagmiddag werd mijn aandacht getrokken door een programma over 's werelds meest gevaarlijke slangen en rara, waar zitten die...idd, in Zuid-Afrika. Vooral de zwarte mamba blijkt een pittig exemplaar.

Zelf vertoeven wij op dit eigenste moment in het iets minder exotische maar wel volledig slangenvrije Geneve, waar na 4 dagen hitte de regen nu met bakken naar beneden valt. Lang leve de stapel boeken!
ciao!

/Helga

Goedels zei

Voorlopig nog geen slangen gezien. wel al drie aapjes vanuit de verte, wat hagedissen, zeehonden zien zwemmen en iets wat op een otter trekt, maar zou niet weten wat het is.

Tja, mijn Engels is inderdaad niet perfect en het wordt er zeker niet meer Harvard-Engels op met dat Zuidafrikaans Engels hier. Anders moet ik jou als spellingcontroleur inhuren, Helga.

De groeten daar in Geneve!

Anoniem zei

Hey Goedele,

En ik die mij zorgen zat te maken over de blijkbaar overroepen criminaliteit en het gevaarlijke verkeer in Zuid-Afrika! Blijkt het nog erger dan ik dacht en zit er nog ongedierte ook.

Maar ik geef toe: het brengt wat meer actie in je leven dan pintjes, whiskey en/of chips op zondagavond. En ik ben alvast een trouwere fan van je blog dan van Flikken. Hopelijk vind je tussendoor dus voldoende tijd om hem aan te vullen (in het Engels, Nederlands of eventueel het Afrikaans).

Groetjes,

Kathleen en de andere Duinstraters

Anoniem zei

Hallo Goedels


Ik ben de opvolger van Leen Van Hoorick in Pretoria.
Wij zijn gisteren goed aangekomen in Pretoria na een race tegen de tijd om het visum te verkrijgen.

Tis hier schitterend en het huisje valt idd reuze goed mee.

Vandaag al Pretoria gaan bezoeken.

Nog wat aklimatiseren om dan vanaf maandag in het Kalafong ziekenhuis te beginnen werken (spannend!!!)

Allé, ciaokes en amuseert u ook maar kostelijk daar in Plet

Bart

Anoniem zei

Hoi Goedels... ik stel voor dat je in het afrikaans schrijft... om mijn depressie helpen te boven te komen! Ik zit weer op een stoeltje ernaast, de mensen zijn niet ziek en klagen toch veel, ik ben nooit voor zonsondergang thuis (cfr de belgische ondergang!), ... ach ja ik heb er zelf voor gekozen zeker... Geniet met volle teugen want voor je het weet ben je weer thuis!! Daaaag