zondag 9 september 2007

Rastafarians in Plett.

As I got some reactions in other languages than Flemish, this message is going to be in English again so all of you can understand. (Helga, I hope I don't write too many faults; you get the task to let me know, so I can correct them.)
There's again a lot I can tell you, as there's always something going on. Today we got up and like you all know by now, went to the beach to do our daily run and swim. Unfortunately we had to cancel the swimming part because we were in a hurry to our next appointment. Apparantly we didn't run fast enough. Could that be because of the party we had yesterday evening ... ?
After the run, me and my running team (Kristien and Sander) went to pick up Bob Elzen, the boss of Joker tourism, Anders reizen and the via via-cafés. (Jawel, Vero, de baas van je favoriete stek ...). Very interesting man. Together we did a tour with an eco-guide in one of the townships of Plettenberg Bay and the really nice surroundings. The wasps we crossed by our path weren't that nice, but everything else was again perfect: nice view on the mountains and the sea! And an interesting Rastafariguide.
Before today I thought Rasta was about reggaemusic, dreadlocks in the hair and smoking cannabis. But it is actually a whole movement about religion and ecological living. Did you know that they have dreads because the Bible says something like don't cut your hair and beard. (Papa, you have to help me with that, but this guy says it is written in Leviticus).
They also worship the Ethiopian King, Haile Selassie. To me the name ment nothing, but Bob told me he is known all over the world. Is this a gap in my knowledge or has it more to do with the age difference between me and Bob ... ? Maybe a new inquiery on my blog?
All very interesting and the next thing to do is join the Judah Square Rastafarian Community in Knysna. Although I think one day will be enough for me.
I also learned about the Sangoma and witchdoctors. Rastafarians heal illnes with herbs, Sangoma heal it with herbs and the aid of our ancestors and witchdoctors make medicines out of the skin of babies (stolen from hospitals sometimes). As you allready noticed as a smart reader, the last ones are the bad guys and Sangoma and Rastafarians try to fight them. Apparantly all these three are still operating in South-Africa. For a moment I considered going to a Sangoma and see if this person can get my ancestors help me to get my camera back. Siem, I'm sorry, but yesterday our camera was stolen from our apparantment during the party. Grrrr!
Our day went on sitting in nice cushions and having diner at Hemingsways, again with a nice view on the Keurboom river and sea. About my adventure in the Keurboom river last week, you will hear later. Today I finish by advising you a white chocolate martini at Hemingways! Hmm!

3 opmerkingen:

Unknown zei

hoi,
kreeg hier verder les over de Rasta uit de cursus gemeenschapsspychologie van Joris...
zo leer ik ook weeral wat bij...

Denise

Anoniem zei

Kiitos Goedele! Kuinka kauan olet siellä ja oletko siis töissä vai vapaaehtoisena?

Goedels zei

Olen taalla puoleksi vuodeksi. Teen viisi kuukautta vapaehtoista toita ja sitten menen kuukauden matkustelemaan.